Ca'D'Oro

Photo: Alan Crumlish

John Honeyman

1872

Category A Listed

Originally a furniture warehouse, built at the peak of Glasgow’s Victorian heyday, the building’s cast-iron structure evokes the technology and ingenuity which drove the city’s industry. Its Italianate style represents the internationalism of one of the most eclectic cities in Europe. Most people assume that the name reflects the famous 15th-century Venetian, canal-side, palazzo. However it was actually named after a restaurant that once occupied part of the ground floor. The ground-floor retail spaces sit behind giant masonry arches. On the upper floors, the elevations are a metal tracery with triple arched bays topped by circular attic windows.