Castlemilk Stables

Photo: Alan Crumlish

David Hamilton / Elder & Cannon

1800/2007

Category B Listed

The original stables served the 18th- century Castlemilk House, designed by David Hamilton for the Stewart family, which is sadly long gone. For many years the stables was a Parks Department store and plant nursery. The building was subsequently rescued from near ruin by Glasgow Building Preservation Trust which commissioned a contemporary interior and new, glazed, inner circulation. The building now houses offices for the local housing association, a children’s nursery and other small businesses. The restoration of the most important historic building in Castlemilk has won numerous national awards, including the Doolan Best Building in Scotland prize for 2008.