City Halls and Old Fruitmarket

Photo: Jon Jardine

George Murray

1841

Category A Listed

The Albion Street frontage is in the Egyptian style, revived after Napoleon’s conquest of Egypt. This elevation and the City Hall itself are both by Murray, while the earlier Candleriggs building was originally designed by James Clelland and built from 1817. The story however is not so simple. The market hall, by Bell and Miller, working under John Carrick, is a superb arch-roofed structure of steel, cast iron and glass and the Italianate frontage to Candleriggs and the dramatic three-storey staircase is later, by Carrick from 1886. The Fruitmarket, also now part of the complex, is later still, with a frontage by A. T. Houston from 1907.