Clydeport

Photo: Alan Crumlish

J.J. Burnet

1882

Category A Listed

Magnificent though it is, this is only half of what was intended. The corner drum is surmounted by powerful statuary, a massive dome and a cupola. The main frontage to Robertson Street includes a colossal statue of Neptune by John Mossman, originally designed as the centrepiece of the proposed much larger composition. The corner and dome were added by Burnet in 1908. While his original design showed a Venetian corner tower, what was ultimately built was much more French. The interiors are similarly grand, with a magnificent staircase, the French style Old Trust Hall and the Second Trust Hall within the rotunda, rich in marble, gilded plasterwork and walnut panelling.