Corinthian

Photo: Alan Crumlish

John Burnet

1877

Category A Listed

The Italianate palazzo frontage is a re-facing of the 1841 Union Bank, designed by David Hamilton. Hamilton’s understated entrance hall opens out into two banking halls. The earlier, from 1853, is by James Salmon (Senior) and features a glazed dome and an extraordinarily elaborate plasterwork scheme, including statuary representing the four continents, as well as cherubs, swags and scrolls. The adjoining banking hall by Burnet, though much more restrained, is still one of the most elaborate and elegant rooms in the whole of Glasgow. The building now serves as bars, restaurants, a club and a casino. Its adaptation has been entirely sympathetic to the remarkable historic character of the building.