Fairfield Shipyard Offices

Photo: Jon Jardine

Honeyman & Keppie

1891

Category A Listed

Fairfield’s was one of Glasgow’s great industrial success stories. Innovation in engine design ensured that Govan-built ships were among Glasgow’s major exports for the best part of a century. The long office building, fronting the shipyard and facing Elder Park, is in the Italian Renaissance style. On the first floor, continuous strips of glazing brought light into the two drawing offices where some of the world’s most famous liners were designed. The main entrance is flanked by statues of a shipwright and an engineer who stand on stylised ship’s prows, overtly symbolic of the great works created in the offices and shipyard behind.