Govan Old Parish Church

Photo: Jon Jardine

Robert Rowand Anderson

1888

Category A Listed

Set back from the main street, this magnificent church sits within an ancient churchyard on a site which has seen some 1,500 years of Christian worship. Within the church are monuments dating back 1,000 years, including an impressive carved sarcophagus, ‘hogback’ tombstones, cross shafts and upright crosses. The building is massive, earning it the nickname “Govan Cathedral”. In addition to its important collection of monuments, the impressively high nave also features some superb stained glass. The original plans for the church proposed finishing off the composition with a massive tower and spire, sadly never built.