Hutcheson's Hall

Photo: Alan Crumlish

David Hamilton

1805

Category A Listed

This building replaces the original charitable hospital which was on the Trongate and dated from 1641. It was not a hospital in the current sense, more a place where the elderly and infirm were cared for and alms given to the poor. The facade statues are from the original and are threfore 150 years older than the building they adorn. Hamilton, one of Glasgow’s greatest architects, looked to London church designs for inspiration. The hall sits on the first floor behind twin Corinthian columns. The tower, capping the composition, is a geometric exercise, progressing from square to round section as it rises, concluding with a conical top.