Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum

Photo: Alan Crumlish

J.W. Simpson & E.J. Milner Allen

1901

Category A Listed

This competition-winning design is in lavish, Spanish Renaissance style, richly decorated with sculpture by some of the greatest artists of the day, including Sir George Frampton. The galleries range east and west of the great central hall. The original design was brilliantly conceived with side lighting on the ground floor for museum exhibits and top lighting for the upper-floor painting galleries. In the building’s recent major modernisation by BDP, the former basement has been brought into public use. This has enabled a new cafe and greatly improved access to be introduced to Glasgow’s most popular cultural attraction.