Kibble Palace

Photo: Alan Crumlish

Boucher and Cousland

1863

Category A Listed

Originally built for John Kibble for the garden of his house at Coulport, this magnificent glasshouse was dismantled, brought up the Clyde by boat and re-erected in the Botanics in 1871. The glitterati of Glasgow’s West End would assemble here for concerts and balls to show off their High Victorian finery. The building was converted to its current usage in the late 1880s when the entrance aisle, transept and statues were added as well as its first coffee shop, confirming that Glaswegians, even those with a keen interest in botany, have always enjoyed sitting down for a chat over coffee.