Mitchell Library / St Andrew's Halls

Photo: Alan Crumlish

William B. White, James Sellars

1911 / 1877

Category B Listed

These two important buildings were brought together to create the present Mitchell Library complex in the 1970s. St Andrew’s Halls, gutted by fire in 1962, is a solidly classical composition with powerful statuary, including the Herculean figures which flank the central entrance. Inside, the Mitchell Theatre adjoins a large and airy cafe space, contributing to a new style of public library. The front building, by Whitie, is the competition-winning original library, topped by its huge dome. The interior is rich with timber panelling and marble. Europe’s largest public reference library, beloved by generations of researchers, remains one of Glasgow’s greatest cultural glories.