Pearce Institute

Photo: Jon Jardine

Robert Rowand Anderson

1905

Category A Listed

Pearce Institute

840 Govan Road

Robert Rowand Anderson (1905)

Category A Listed

Anderson had a great interest in historic Scottish architecture and fought for the retention of the original Glasgow University buildings on the High Street. The Pearce Institute, designed like a Scottish townhouse, on a massive scale, has served the people of Govan for over a century. Originally gifted by a shipping magnate for the working people of the area, the PI, as it is known locally, has been progressively restored and improved in recent years. It still serves as a popular gathering place for meetings, conferences, events and performance. An alternative title might be ‘The People’s Institute’.