St Andrew's Cathedral

Photo: Alan Crumlish

J. Gillespie Graham

1817

Category A Listed

Built as a Catholic chapel, St Andrew’s became Glasgow’s Metropolitan Cathedral in 1889. It is the first Gothic revival church in the city. The magnificent traceried window dominates the front elevation. Stone tracery also decorates the buttresses and the windows lining the nave. The apex niche on the main front has a statue of St Andrew. Inside, the tall nave and lower aisles recall medieval churches, a thoroughly appropriate plan form for a building which would assume such a key role. Pugin & Pugin adapted the building for use as a Cathedral and added a new altar, confessionals, font and statuary. Page Park Architects has recently completed a major refurbishment of this superb building.