St Andrew's Parish Church

Photo: Alan Crumlish

Allan Dreghorn / Mungo Naismith

1756

Category A Listed

The entrepreneur and architect, Dreghorn and the mason, Naismith, based their church on St Martin-in-the-Fields, London. The resulting classical temple is complete with a lordly tower and was, for many years, one of the largest of Glasgow’s buildings. External decoration is minimal although, in common with other grand buildings of its era, its roofscape is punctuated with large stone urns. Internally, powerful Corinthian columns support a gallery which runs round three sides. The impressive plasterwork benefits from the gilding which was anonymously donated when the building was restored in 2000. St Andrew’s is now a Centre for Scottish Culture with a basement bar/restaurant.