St Columba

Photo: Alan Crumlish

Jack Coia

1937

Category A Listed

Although built on a budget, this great red brick church is imposing. The fronting screen wall is dominated by a tall, glazed cross. At either end the main facade is embraced by curved projections which contain the baptistery and staircase respectively. Although inspired by Italian Romanesque churches, this is a design both aesthetically and technologically very much of its era. The interior is honest with giant concrete portal frames creating the high nave. The stations of the cross, by Hugh Adam Crawford, came from the Roman Catholic pavilion at Glasgow’s 1938 Empire Exhibition and the crucifix is by Benno Schotz.