St George's Tron Church

Photo: Alan Crumlish

William Stark

1809

Category A Listed

When this church was built, much around it was still open fields. However in the decades that followed it was rapidly embraced by development as the city progressed westwards. The classical front of this building, with its Doric columns and the five-stage tower with obelisks at the upper levels, recalls Hawksmoor’s famous London churches. The building is unusual in its setting. Its pedimented rear elevation terminates West George Street and the classical frontage faces down George Street. It is not unusual for important buildings in Glasgow to terminate a street but to terminate two looks like boasting.