Templeton Carpet Factory

Photo: Alan Crumlish

William Leiper

1889

Category A Listed

A brilliant visual triumph, this was the office block of the former Templeton’s Carpet Factory. Templeton’s exported their intricately patterned carpets throughout the world and this building, modelled on the Doge’s Palace in Venice, testifies to their international outlook. The architect was asked by his client to produce work in emulation of the Venetian masterpiece, which James Templeton considered the finest building he had ever seen. Leiper obliged with a work in crimson brick, terracotta, brilliant glazing and coloured enamel mosaic. This joyous facade vividly reflected the carpets that were manufactured in the sheds behind.