The Briggait

Photo: Alan Crumlish

Clarke & Bell

1873

Category A Listed

The Victorian fishmarket is built around the steeple from the 17th-century Merchant’s House. The story has it that, from this vantage, merchants would wait for their ships returning, laden with goods from the Indies or the Americas. The building is French Classical in style and the twin arches on the Clyde Street front are surmounted by magnificent sea horses. Internally, the structure is a Victorian triumph with cast-iron galleries and a glazed roof over the main hall. Previously converted for speciality shopping, including bars and restaurants, the Briggait now combines artists’ studios, offices and storage, bringing new creative life to this masterpiece on the Clyde.