The Glasgow School of Art

Photo: Alan Crumlish

Charles Rennie Mackintosh

1899 & 1909

Category A Listed

The masterpiece of Glasgow’s most renowned home-grown architect was the winner of a limited competition. The flanking gables tell of the phased construction. The east recalls a Scottish tower house and the west, a later composition, has soaring glass bays. The plan is two blocks of studios with the entrance and administration blocks sandwiched between. The museum is included in the central block, while the west end includes the famous library. Stone, timber, iron, tiles and glass are all creatively used. The ingenuity and variety continue throughout the whole composition. Mackintosh designed not only applied decoration, but most of the original furnishings and fittings.