The Tobacco Merchant's House

Photo: Alan Crumlish

John Craig

1775

Category A Listed

The last merchant’s villa still standing in Miller Street is also the last to survive in the whole Merchant City. Built by the wright, John Craig, this house was modest by comparison with the grander mansions in the area. In 1780 No. 42 was sold to Robert Findlay, a tobacco importer who lived there until his death in 1802. The house is of simple, classical design, five bays wide and two and a half storeys high. The central, pedimented, doorway is flanked by fluted Corinthian pilasters which, along with the swagged rooftop urns, are its only embellishment. The building was restored as offices by the Scottish Civic Trust in 1995.