Tolbooth Steeple

Photo: Jon Jardine

John Boyd

1626

Category A Listed

Described by one notable critic as a “stone traffic policeman”, the steeple, stranded on a little island surrounded by roads, is the last survivor of Glasgow’s historic Tolbooth which combined the town hall and town jail. Even disconnected it still has great dignity with its subtle decoration of string courses, mouldings and its rich crown. Glasgow Cross itself, once the bustling heart of the city, is now relegated to little more than a traffic junction. The buildings at each corner, including a new housing block, are varied in age but all are urban in scale and respectful of their 400-year-old neighbour.