University of Glasgow - Gilbert Scott Building

Photo: Alan Crumlish

George Gilbert Scott

1870

Category A Listed

After the Houses of Parliament, this is the second largest neo-Gothic building in the UK. Two quadrangles are contained within a composition rich in Scottish and French borrowings including crow-stepped gables, corner towers and pepper-pot turrets. Scott himself described the building as following on from his Albert Institute (now the McManus Galleries) Dundee. The ventilation tower, centrepiece of the south front, was originally designed to carry a giant clock. However Scott’s son, John Oldrid Scott, recognised that the proposed topping would appear too heavy and added the filigree cone, stone resembling spun sugar, which is the building’s great final flourish.